Back in January, I wrote about Sheikh Feiz Mohammed’s DVD “Death” series. Sheikh Feiz Mohammed had stirred up quite a controversy in Australia over some of his remarks and teachings in the series. I listened to the recordings to hear for myself what he had to say. The teaching (not his) that the shahid’s sins are forgiven as soon as the first drop of blood leaves the body caught my attention. It did so because I knew that the Bible teaches us that only Jesus can forgive our sins and forgiveness isn’t earned.
In writing my response, I was stunned to discover that I knew so few scriptures that supported my beliefs. That was to my shame. I found what I needed to write the article, but my study of the scriptures didn’t stop there. I have now put together some scriptures that cover more than what my original piece did. It’s pure scripture, it isn’t what some theologian said; it’s what God said.
Sheikh Feiz Mohammed angered a lot of people, but the controversy he stirred forced me into a study of what God says in the Bible. And that study has only blessed and strengthened me. I hope you enjoy reading this:
Mankind’s Condition and God’s Remedy for it
What Are We Without Christ Jesus?
- Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them
- Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness
- Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened [ made alive ], who were dead in trespasses and sins
- Child of Wrath
- Ephesians 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
- A Child of Disobedience
- Ephesians 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
- An enemy of God
- Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life
- A Sinner
- Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
What do we deserve?
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord
Jesus is the Way
- John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me
Jesus, not us, has died for our sins
- 1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures
- Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us
Only Jesus can forgive our sins
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved
- Acts 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins
- Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins
- Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened [ made alive ] together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses
- Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace
- Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you
We cannot EARN our salvation
- Ephesians 2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast
Receiving forgiveness of sins is simple
- Mark 1:15 The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel
- Merriam-Webster defines “Repent” as, “To feel sorrow, regret, or contrition for.”
Speaking of repentance, the late A.W. Tozer said, “Where real repentance is, there is obedience; for repentance is not only sorrow for past failures and sins, it is also a determination to begin now to do the will of God as He reveals it to us.” And, “Repentance is primarily a change of moral purpose, a sudden and often violent reversal of the soul’s direction.”
- Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
- Dr. Wayne Grudem says, “Repentance is a heartfelt sorrow for sin, a renouncing of it, and a sincere commitment to forsake it and walk in obedience to Christ.”
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life
- Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved
- Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
- Romans 10:11 For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed
- Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved
The Christian no longer has to live in fear of God’s judgment
- Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ
- Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit
The believer in Christ Jesus will never be separated from God
- Romans 8: 38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord
Jesus is calling you today
- Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me
Jesus will not turn you away
- John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out